Up until today, CityStrides used the privacy settings from your run tracking service. So, if you were public there then you’d be public here. If you were private there then you’d be private here.
This is very simple, and I would love to have left it at that. However…
I get a lot of complaints from people that their activities are public in CityStrides. It’s probably the biggest reason (that I hear about) for people to leave the site, as well.
So starting today, CityStrides allows you to set custom privacy settings.
Existing users are set to a ‘Per Activity’ privacy setting, so there will be no change for you.
New users are set so that everything is completely private by default.
The privacy settings are split into two areas:
- There is one for Activities themselves. This applies to whether anyone will see any of your activities at all.
- There is one for location data. This applies to maps, completed/progressed streets, running cities, and the leaderboard.
There are three options for the Activity/Location privacy setting:
- One is ‘Everyone’, which makes your account completely public.
- One is ‘Just Me’, which makes your account completely private.
- One is ‘Per Activity’, which makes each of your Activities have its own setting.
Changing either of these settings (click on Settings in the menu to do that) triggers some code to run in the background. This code updates all of your activities to have the newly selected privacy level. This makes changing from one level to another take some time, but it grealy simplifies my interaction with Activities.
If you have feedback, please share it here.